Want to wow your friends and family with a delicious wholesome meal? Try this roasted leg of lamb recipe. This recipe of lamb leg or raan roast is so good yet it doesn’t require too much effort or ingredients. It’s easy & fool-proof, even for you first-timers! If you haven’t cooked a leg of lamb before, don’t be intimidated.
You can cook a leg of lamb in many ways apart from a classic roast. It can be barbecued, stewed, or slow-cooked to make it meltingly tender. Today I am presenting here Lamb leg roast in the oven, and it was very soft, tender, and juicy. I bet you will not regret after trying my recipe 🙂
A whole leg of lamb is marinated in a delicious blend of aromatic spices and then roasted for a few hours until it is tender and succulent. It does take patience because it required time for good marination, but you’ll be rewarded with tender lamb leg that can be pulled off the bone, served with afghani or Kabuli pulao, green mint raita, and tomato chatni.
How to Make The Best Lamb Roast In Details? Watch With Us!
Marination step I:
To enjoy the juicy whole lamb leg roast, take a whole plain lamb leg. Wash it properly and don’t remove the fat layer around the meat, it will keep the juices inside and your lamb leg roast very succulent, tender, and juicy. You need to make deep long cuts in the lamb with a knife so, the salt will merge properly deep into the lamb leg and you will get the taste in each bite. Pouring vinegar with the spoon will make the lamb leg soft and juicy. And at the end of this step, we will cover the lamb leg and refrigerate for one complete day.
Marination step II:
For the second step, after one day, take out the lamb leg and you need all spices powder, coriander powder, cumin powder, black crushed pepper, red chili powder, and turmeric powder. These spices will enrich the lamb leg with super delicious taste. Further, we need yogurt or thick curd, ginger garlic paste, olive oil, or vegetable oil to make the paste so, it will be applied evenly throughout the lamb leg.
After marinating the lamb with the above-mixed ingredients, Rest the lamb for half a day in the refrigerator. Trust me your lamb roast will be filled with flavor 🙂
Take out the marinated lamb from refrigerator and now its time to wrap the lamb leg in aluminum foil So that all the juices stay inside the leg and it cooks in its own steam.
We need to wrap it in another layer. so, Knead the flour dough, simple with water, and make a ball of this dough and flatten it with a rolling pin like roti or tortilla. Wrap the lamb leg in this dough, that is already wrapped in aluminum foil. This step seal the lamb leg and no steam will escape out and it will cook in its own steam.
Finally, we reached there to roast the lamb leg in a preheated oven for a few hours. After 2.5 hours, the lamb leg will be ready to serve. Before serving remove the flour seal with a knife.
For a Smoky Flavor:
Optional: I gave the smoky flavor to the lamb leg, by placing the burning charcoal at the lamb leg roast, also pour some oil, and cover it for a few minutes so, the smoke enhances the taste of roasted lamb leg. This is optional. If you don’t want to add a smoky flavor, you can simply skip this step.
Serve the lamb leg roast with Afghani or Kabuli Pulao, Green mint raita, or tomato chatni. It is a highly appetizing meal. It can be served to 4 persons.
This lamb leg or raan is very tender and great in taste. And when it is served with Afghani or Kabuli pulao, it duplicates its taste.
Enjoy! and don’t forget to give your comments 🙂
Marination Step I:
- Lamb Leg/Raan 2.5 kg
- Vinegar 5-6 tablespoons
- Salt 2.5 tablespoons
Marination Step II:
- All spices powder 1 tablespoon
- Coriander powder 1 tablespoon
- Cumin powder 1 tablespoon
- Black crushed pepper 2 tablespoons
- Red chili powder 1 tablespoon
- Turmeric powder 1 teaspoon
- Yogurt or thick curd 1/2 cup
- Ginger garlic paste 2.5 tablespoons
- Olive oil or vegetable oil 2 tablespoons
Marination step I:
1. Wash the lamb leg. Don't remove the fat layer around the meat, it will keep the juices inside and your lamb leg roast very tender and juicy.
2. Make deep long cuts in the lamb with a knife, as long as you insert your knife down. Don't stab or pierce the lamb with a knife or fork.
3. Apply salt all over and inside the cuts of lamb.
4. Pour vinegar with the spoon in the cuts and all over the lamb leg.
5. Cover the lamb leg and refrigerate for 24 hours.
Marination step II:
1. Take out the marinated lamb from refrigerator and wrap the lamb leg in aluminum foil, So that all the juices stay inside the leg and it cooks in its own steam.
5. Served them with Afghani or Kabuli Pulao, Green mint raita, or tomato chatni.